Public health officials in Jefferson County, CO have a warning for the person who handled a dead bat… you may have rabies.
The bat was found on a park picnic bench. The health folks said, "The bat had been placed on a woman's floral shirt and had a cigarette placed in its mouth, indicating it had been handled."
The bat was submitted for rabies testing, but it was in such bad shape that the tests couldn’t be done. Regardless, the health department is assuming the bat was positive for rabies.
They want anyone who handled the bat to know that they may have been exposed and should seek medical treatment immediately.